Junior year of high school, a new chapter in my life began: I got my first car. It was a 2003 Toyota Camry LE. I absolutely loved that car, because I grew up in that car since it had once been my moms. I was so excited to drive everywhere! I quickly realized that cars need gas to go and gas cost money. So, I decided to get a job. Very quickly, I got a job as a sales associate at Aeropsotale at the Paramus Park Mall in Paramus NJ.I thought I was so cool, having a job at a hip place like Aeroppostale. While I did make many friends and amazing memories there for the 2 yeaars I worked there, my job expereince there definitely changed the way I look at retail.
1) Never talk on the phone while while a cashier is ringing up my items. IT IS SO RUDE! It is also super stressful to the cashier ringing up your purchase because they may have questions they need you to answer, but they also do not want to interrupt your convo in fear of being yelled at. Just putA Normal transaction only takes a few minutes long. Trust me, you can put down the phone for that amount of time tolong.
2) Never throw your money or credit card at the cashier. This may sound like a weird request to people who have never worked in retail, but trust me... it happens more than you can imagine. SIMPLY HAND OVER YOUR FORM OF PAYMENT TO THE CASHIER OR SWIPE YOUR CARD ON THE MACHINE.
3) Oh, and if you have to swipe your card in the machine, PLEASE WAIT TO BE TOLD TO DO SO. I can not tell you how many times I have not even been halfway through ringing up someone's purchases and they are already trying to swipe their card....Like.. can't you see I am clearly not done yet? Slow your roll.
4) Do not get mad at the cashier if you've been waiting on line for longer than you would have liked. The world does not revolve around you and your time, and most likely the store is understaffed and he or she has to work on the register alone.
5) If you are coming to a retail store to shop, please don't say to an employee "That stinks you have to be stuck here on a holiday." WELL JEEZ, MAYBE IF PEOPLE LIKE YOU DECIDED NOT TO COME TO THE STORE ON A HOLIDAY, MAYBE I CAN BE HOME WITH MY FAMILY!!!
6) If you see an employee finishing up a shelf of panties or shirts, please don;t go to that shlf and start ripping through everything. Either ask for a size, or neatly find your size and put the item back the way it was before.
7) If you see a store closes at 9pm, please do not start walking in to shop at 8:55. Even though you are allowed in, you have to remember that these employees have a lot to do after the doors are locked. Plus, it is straight up inconsiderate. Also, you will probably be rushed out. Sorry not sorry.
8) If we tell you we don't have anymore in the back, WE DON'T HAVE ANYMORE IN THE BACK. I promise, we aren't lying to you.
9) If you bring your child into a retail store, PLEASE TRY YOUR BEST TO CONTROL YOUR KIDS. Sales associates are trying to do their job, and it’s kinda hard to do when your kid’s scream is echoing through the whole store, and they are ripping through stacks of freshly folded clothes.
10) If an employee talks to you, please don't ignore them. I know, they can sometimes get annoying, BUT THAT IS THEIR JOB. Just simply say, "Hello, I know what I am looking for. Thank you." and keep walking. It doesn't hurt to be nice. Remember, retail sales associates are human too.
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!