Spring Cleaning- a British noun meaning a thorough cleaning of a house or room, typically undertaken in spring. While it is highly suggested to open your windows and doors on a nice spring day, and clean out and organize your room, you should take this time to do this mentally. Clean out your mind and organize your goals. It is about half way through the year. Sit down and evaluate how you have taken advantage of the year. Have you stuck to your new years resolutions, or have you noticed you've gone a little off the rails? No need to stress! We are humans, we aren't perfect. Just know that it's never too late to get back on track with your goals.
I decided to take this time to write down a list of ways you can SPRING CLEAN YOUR LIFE.
1) Find a new hobby. Do you find yourself not challenged or bored during the week or weekends? Try something you've always wanted to do, or even try something you thought you'd never do! Trying something new helps open your eyes to things the world has to offer that you never knew about. Taking up a new hobby can completely change the way you think or live. Embrace change as a positive.
2) Reevaluate your relationships. Friends, coworkers, significant other, family, etc. You do not owe anyone your time and attention. If you feel as if someone brings toxic and negative energy into your life, it may be time to distance yourself from them. You have only one life to live, don't waste it on people that don't bring you joy and happiness. If these negative people are hard to completely to take out of your life, find healthy ways of coping with their existence. Also take this time to appreciate the positive people in your life. Reach out to friends you may have not seen in a while and grab lunch. Make the effort to keep people in your life who help you grow, that make you feel good.
3) Clear out your technology. Delete unnecessary photos, documents, etc. If you haven't needed it in the last 9 months, you most likely will not need it again. Clear up your storage on your electronic devices! Delete and unsubscribe from apps you barely use or don't use at all. Go on a social media cleanse. Does your social media page represent who you are now? Does that picture of you doing a handstand on a keg in 2014 how you want to be seen now? If you do, cool. If not, delete it. Unfollow people who you don't talk to or aren't a positive influence for you. You owe no one an explanation. Just DO IT.
4) Change up your routine. Change is good. Feel like you never have enough time to do certain things? MAKE TIME. No one is forcing you to live your 24 hours a day a certain way. Time manage in a way that works best for you. Something that allows you time to do whatever it is you want to achieve on a daily basis.
5) Check your attitude. Do you always have something negative to say or think? Do you talk in a way that you notice makes people uncomfortable. Maybe the problem isn't always other people, it may be you. Try to substitute negative thinking with positive thoughts. If you continue to talk just positive for a couple days straight, you will notice a difference in how you live your life. Remember the Golden Rule: Treat others the way YOU want to be treated.
6) Straighten out your finances. Is your rainy day fun looking a little low? No worries. Take a look at your bills. (I know, ew.) But take a look at what you spend most money on. Cancel subscriptions to things you barely used (Like described in #3). Maybe just get that Starbucks drink 2 times a week rather than every single morning. It is okay to splurge on yourself, but be smart about it.
7) Declutter your mind. People fail to realize how important it is to check on mental health. Not taking care of your mind can result in many things, including fatigue. Fatigue in the mind snowballs into our physical being, so take care of yourself. Try to meditate 10 minutes a day. There are so many different ways to meditate, you can Google or Youtube search different ways to do so, and for free. If meditation isn't for you, take a few minutes out of your day to disconnect from everything and clear your mind.
8) Spruce up your diet and exercise. WHAT YOU PUT INSIDE YOUR BODY EFFECTS HOW YOUR BODY WORKS. If you continue to feed your body junk, your body is going to feel like junk. If you consume vitamins and nutrients, your body will thank you and you WILL notice a difference, trust me. It is okay to enjoy that guilty pleasure food, but enjoy it in moderation. Do you feel like you have reached a plateau in your workouts? Change up your exercise with different workout classes or different core and weight workouts you can do at the gym! It also doesn't hurt to try new beauty products! Try new looks that make you feel good!
9) Get rid of physical clutter. Get rid of unnecessary papers, and things you haven't used in a long time. Donate those old shoes and clothes you have not worn in sooooo long, that you forgot you even had. It feels good to let go of things you longer need, and completing the task of even cleaning out a drawer and being able to accomplish a goal is a huge plus.
10) Reevaluate your values. Take everything I have listed and help that bring you back to your core values! Always be true to who YOU are. That is how you become the happiest!
I hope this list helps you and your journey to a better you and better life. If you have any suggestions, feel free to email them over to me at firstname.lastname@example.org !
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!